NMRRC in persons. Yaragi Dokuevich Bekiev
Сandidate of medical sciences, Yaragi Doguevich Bekiev, urologist of the highest category, head of the 2nd urological department of The Research Institute of Urology and Interventional Radiology – branch of the FSBI «National Medical Research Radiological Centre» of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation:
“The main and important thing in our profession is to see the patient first of all as a person”
Yaragi was the seventh child in a family where the children were often ill, and the paramedic who came to them from a neighboring village was looked upon as a saint. In any case, in his childhood and in his mountainous Chechen village, this is how people of this profession were treated. My father worked in agriculture, my mother worked as a technician at a local school all her life. She was a wise person and told her son: “It doesn’t matter who you will be. But in order to live well, rightly, you must be a useful person in society.”
Yaragi studied exclusively for the five and after the eighth grade he left to study in Grozny as a paramedic.
– Not a single step in my life was given to me just like a gift. Only through overcoming, by one’s own work, – says Dr. Bekiev.
It was more than a hundred kilometers to his home, and he saw his family once a month, not more often. He lived on 30 rubles a month – it was half of his mother’s salary – it was all that the family could allocate from its own modest budget.
– Six people on the list of those accepted to the college were written down, in pencil, as candidates and I am among them, – Yaragi Doguevich continues to remember, – and we were told: whoever studies poorly, we will erase the names, as you were not here.
After the very first session, passed with excellent marks, I received an increased scholarship – 45 rubles. And it was a great help for the family, now he could independently manage his expenses.
– We had old wonderful Soviet teachers in college, – explains Yaragi Doguevich. “They saw my situation and helped me get a job in the hospital for war veterans in my second year. This was in 1991. I was ready to go as an orderly, but they told me: why? You might as well be a nurse. From that moment I began my working biography in medicine.
The newly-made medical worker of the hospital was absolutely amazed by the first salary. 120 rubles! He did not believe his eyes. And to the housing, which he rented in Grozny, he went on foot, although it was far away. But there was no strength even to wait for transport.
After graduating from the college, he decided to continue his studies and entered the medical faculty of Grozny University.
– It was not suddenly, I entered the university only from the second time. And I studied for 8 years – the war began and we had breaks in especially difficult months. But he continued to work in the hospital. So, after graduation, he was older than other graduates.
Residency could be chosen, and he, as an excellent student, was given a targeted direction to Moscow, at the Research Institute of Urology.
– I immediately got to Professor Sergey Petrovich Darenkov, a specialist in reconstructive plastic urology. He became my teacher and mentor. From the first day I trusted to assist in operations and to guide patients. Was it because I was older than my fellow residents?
Probably life has taught Yaragi since his youth to take everything he is entrusted with seriously? Anyway, after two years of residency, Professor Darenkov suggested him to stay at the institute and do the science.
– At that moment there were a lot of patients with complications after operations, and I took up this topic with pleasure. Simultaneously working in the clinic, and this, of course, was a great school for me.
There was a lot of work. Day-night-weekend – all this was not important, the young scientist tried his best to justify the trust of his teachers, surgeons, he looked up to them. Today Yaragi Doguevich is the head of the department of the largest urology center in the country and performs all types of urological operations. Dreaming to achieve doctorate one day.
– My replacement is growing up – two daughters are already studying at the Kaluga Medical Institute, they are asking such questions … We must continue to grow up with them, – the doctor smiles farewell.
And the main thing in the profession is the ability of a doctor to stand on the other side – a person, a patient.
It is very important to see not just a patient, but a person. Then work becomes not a problem, but happiness. That you were able to help another person.
Press Service of National Medical Research Radiological Centre of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation